"Some days, you eat the bear. Some days, the bear eats you. But always dress for the hunt!" - The Adventurer's Club
The Bear - whatever self-destructive tendency that gets the better of you./Ammo - Tools for success!/Dressing for the Hunt - Prepare for what comes with support.
Anyone else like the taste of Roasted Bear Meat?
I do.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Physical Wellness - What's in that milky white Stuff?

We all know that what we put in our bodies is essential to fueling our day to day existence.

When I turned 20, I started getting ear infections. I'd never (to my recollection) had trouble with them before. Suddenly, it seemed to be my body's reaction to any form of stress all of a sudden. I also noticed, as I got older, I developed allergies to pollen. Changes in the weather also left me blowing my nose until I looked like a human relative of Rudolph.

Then someone mentioned "The Singer's Diet", which wasn't much of a change from how I naturally am inclined to eat, except for one thing - No (or limited) dairy. You see, dairy (cow milk particularly) creates and encourages the production of mucus in our bodies. Honestly, when I cut out the cow juice (or cut it back to the occasional cheese, yogurt, or ice cream, rather than a "daily" food) I felt world's better almost immediately... and I lost weight. Most people, it turns out, have some form of mild milk allergy, and usually don't recognize it because symptoms rage from what I was experiencing, to constipation and gas.

Intrigued, I did a bunch of research, and here's what I found:

We are the only animal who wean our own children, only to give them the boiled milk of another animal. Even cows wean their calves off of it. But we decided it's healthy for us to force cows to produce it so that we can drink it? This logic was pointed out to me in high school by a chemistry teacher.

Dr. Spock (no, not the one from Star Trek, the famed 1980's pediatrician the revolutionized the way pediatrics is practiced in the USA) stated: "Cow's milk is not recommended for a child when he is sick-or when he is well, for that matter. Dairy products may cause more mucus complications and cause more discomfort with upper respiratory infections."

I know what you're thinking, "But it's a great source of Calcium and Vitamins, right?"
Sure, but also, consider it's intended use. Just like breast milk is to humans, cow milk is intended to help a calf grow to the point where it can eat SOLID FOOD so that it can eat and create the calcium it needs to grow past the suckling point. How do adult cows get their calcium? Through eating leafy greens, just like we should be doing, once we have teeth and can chew and swallow. Also, milk doesn't have the magnesium balance we need to ABSORB the calcium cows milk provides anyway.

(Rumor also has it that the USDA has the highest allowance of mucus and blood in milk when compared to other industrialized countries, but I was unable to confirm this with my research skills. Wouldn't surprise me one bit though.)

So other than "It tastes good," I couldn't find a reason to keep be drinking milk. Sure, I'll have the occasional ice cream, cheese, or yogurt, but it's rarely a "daily" occurance anymore. I lean towards Almond Milk (unsweetened vanilla) whenever possible. Soy milk is a close 2nd, but certain medical conditions I have keep me smart about how much artificial hormones I'm putting in my body (soy milk has estrogen).

  Sure, I don't drink a big glass of milky white stuff anymore, but it's perfect in cereal, protein shakes, coffee, and other milk made products. I even bake with it.

The more I learn about what I'm putting it, the better I feel about my fuel choices - and the healthier I feel over all.

 Just a little "food" for thought!

Journey on!

No comments:

Post a Comment