"Some days, you eat the bear. Some days, the bear eats you. But always dress for the hunt!" - The Adventurer's Club
The Bear - whatever self-destructive tendency that gets the better of you./Ammo - Tools for success!/Dressing for the Hunt - Prepare for what comes with support.
Anyone else like the taste of Roasted Bear Meat?
I do.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Financial + Physical Wellness - Local Orowheat Outlets

When I discovered this place in my hometown of Escondido, California, I will admit, I drove right by. For YEARS.

Then I happened to move into an expensive condo right across the street from it. When money ran tight, I decided to poke my head in. It quickly became a regular haunt to stock up on the healthy, high quality breads that would have cost double, if not triple at the large chain grocery stores.

When I moved to Washington, I was on the look out for a similar location. I just happened to drive by one one day. I bought 3 months worth of bread for under $7. I just ran out, so I went back to stock up again.

Today's haul filled up this shopping bag:
Sure, it's a 20 minute drive (it's located in Bremerton, in case your curious).
But here's the itemized list -
 2 loaves of Double Fiber bread (Retail price: $4.70 each)
1 loaf Dark Rye (Retail price: $4.80 each)1 loaf Sunmaid Cinnamon Raisin (Retail price: $4 est.)
1 Pack Whole Wheat Buns (Retail Price: $4)1 Pack Thomas Hearty Grains Whole Wheat Bagels (Retail Price: $3)1 Pack Thomas Raisin Bagel (Retail price: $3)


TOTAL IF BOUGHT AT A MAJOR GROCERY STORE = $ 28.20!!!!!

 



MY TOTAL COST AT THE OUTLET STORE?





















$8.64!  Yes, there was an additional $.96 savings as part of a promotion they are currently running, but they ALSO have a punch card, so you get punches towards freebies with each purchase, and 1 day each week is Double Punch Card day.

So I saved around $20 - and our freezer is full of healthful tasty treats! "Stock Up" style shopping also has some major pluses as well. I'm less likely to waste spend money at coffee shops if I have bagels and coffee at home. I also have all the nutritional information at my finger tips so I can make a better, more informed decision regarding what I put in my mouth.

Now, a small disclaimer here - I don't usually make sandwiches with my bread. I find that I need a good crunch, so I prefer to toast something yummy up instead, so my bread can go directly from the freezer to the toaster, keeping it fresher longer. However, I've also had no problems with bread spoiling from being left out.

Bread products can be such a great way to get fiber into our diets. One of the chief reasons "low-carb" diets work is because people often are lured into buying low quality bread because "it's cheaper". But if you shop like this, and look at the long term health benefits, is it really "cheaper"?

You CAN have your bread, and eat it too.

1 comment: