"Some days, you eat the bear. Some days, the bear eats you. But always dress for the hunt!" - The Adventurer's Club
The Bear - whatever self-destructive tendency that gets the better of you./Ammo - Tools for success!/Dressing for the Hunt - Prepare for what comes with support.
Anyone else like the taste of Roasted Bear Meat?
I do.

Friday, November 18, 2011

Physical Wellness - My Mantra

April 2011, 210 pounds
"There are NO vacations from a healthy lifestyle - because when you're healthy, you don't WANT a day off from it!" - Me


We all like to believe that the calories we consume when we're out and about with company or on a vacation don't "count".


We're fooling ourselves.





Humans have been "celebrating" with food for as long as there has been a society to celebrate. We woo with food. We celebrate holidays with feasts (Thanksgiving, anyone?). But if we look back at different cultures around the world - just before they dissolved into nothingness, they got fat. Really fat.

In fact, in most cultures, an increase in body habitus was seen as a status symbol. It ment you could afford to eat very well and do nothing all day long, everyday.

Fast forward to the year 2012 - 
We sit on our rear ends at our jobs all day every day (at least in a large number of occupations), and still think we deserve to "feast" whenever we can find an excuse (Super Bowl, vacations, holidays, etc.)!

So let's redefine "wealth" when it comes to life now-a-days. To me, the truly wealthy are those who stay healthy enough to have many years with their friends and family - rather than struggle with preventable health issues which damage these relationship and diminish our years to love others. True wealth, to me (a recovering 255lb, 5'9" woman) is having more time to influence the world in a positive way. While there is no avoiding some tragic ends, we can increase our odds of living longer significantly by living a healthy lifestyle. Not everything is preventable. But some things are within our control to avoid.

And that is empowering. After all, who would choose type 2 diabetes or hypertension over a life of NOT having to check your blood sugars or not having to take hypertension medication?

As I write this, my weight is at a 3 year low. That 255lb woman I was, whose feet hurt her even lying down, is a distant memory. While I still have a long way to go, 200lbs looks much better on me than 255 ever did! Most of all, I feel better. Not just about how I look, but I have more energy and confidence. Yesterday someone commented, "I don't know how people can eat healthy all the time." I guess I'm motivated to because it tastes good, but best of all, because it makes me feel good - physically and emotionally.

Now, does that mean I shouldn't have a Disneyland churro now and again? No way! In fact, I had one of those about a week ago when I was traveling with a friend. But the key to a healthy lifestyle is Balance. One churro.
December 2011, 201 lbs.
And best yet - we shared it.


Moral of the story: What can you do to achieve balance while vacationing , traveling, or during  holidays?

No comments:

Post a Comment