"Some days, you eat the bear. Some days, the bear eats you. But always dress for the hunt!" - The Adventurer's Club
The Bear - whatever self-destructive tendency that gets the better of you./Ammo - Tools for success!/Dressing for the Hunt - Prepare for what comes with support.
Anyone else like the taste of Roasted Bear Meat?
I do.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Physical + Mental Wellness = You only Fail when you Give Up

Ever have one of those days when you get on the scale and look at your flabby self in the mirror and say, "It's useless,"? I get 'em. And lately, I've been getting them often. Even with how awesome Paleo makes me feel, I get on the scale and lately I haven't lost a single pound since the begining of the month. In fact, I seem to be on the fast track for gaining!

It's so easy to listen to that fatalistic voice in my head that says, "Why try? It's never going to get any better." Trust me. That voice has been loud and clear fairly often in my life. Somedays, it's just hard to empower the tiny voice that says, "This is just another challenge. You'll get there. Just keep working at it."

When I saw this floating around on a health blog I poke my head into every once in a while, I was shocked into remembering that failure really isn't about 'not seeing the results I want'. Failure is about giving up. Giving up on setting goals (because even 5lbs feels unattainable right now) because I don't believe in myself is the greatest failure of all.

So I've grabbed some ammo (aka rallied the troops) and I'm back on track. With only 54 days until the wedding, I'm taking my focus OFF the scale, and putting it ON to completing a program of my choosing starting in July. Something to get me stronger, faster, and leaner so I can out run those zombies (and survivors) during the Run for Your Lives 5k coming up in just 6 weeks, but more importantly so I feel healthy - no matter what the 'number' on the scale is.

After all, "If you build it, they will come." If I put the work in, the results will follow, even with the cards stacked against me. (If you follow my personal blog, you know all about the crazy things going on in my body making weight loss nearly impossible, and weight gain seemingly inevitable.) I've been blessed by so many great, inspirational people in my life, especially when it comes to health issues. I owe it to the wisdom they've given me and to the affection I feel for them to get and stay healthy for as long as possible.

Taking steps to feel healthy should be easy, but self-doubt screams so loudly sometimes. Whether that health includes a healthy body image (which so many of us struggle with), a healthy weight, a healthy relationship, or a healthy state of mind/spirit, true change can seem like an overwhelming task.
But really, it's very simple.

There are 2 rules I plan to follow.

#1 - Make the best choices in the moment to help me reach my goal. Making healthy leaps comes from making healthy choices in the moment, not making BIG choices. Every little choice adds up!

#2 - DON'T GIVE UP!

What are your 2 rules?



No comments:

Post a Comment