"Some days, you eat the bear. Some days, the bear eats you. But always dress for the hunt!" - The Adventurer's Club
The Bear - whatever self-destructive tendency that gets the better of you./Ammo - Tools for success!/Dressing for the Hunt - Prepare for what comes with support.
Anyone else like the taste of Roasted Bear Meat?
I do.

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Emotional/Spiritual Wellness: Living Inspired

American Standard - w/ one of co-stars, Craig

In my mid-20's, I had a huge, life changing event. I got divorced. It was truly my worst fear, so I had run from every red flag that the relationship wasn't working out. But moments like these, when we feel completely deconstructed, give us a chance to change the map of our lives. For me, the unspoken cost of divorce wasn't in the money. It was in the friendships I had to let go of because the pain was just too overwhelming (both for me, and for them).

So I realized that I had a choice. I could be alone and miserable, or I could branch out, reach out, and make new friends. That started with my theater group. At that time, I was in a Musical called American Standard. (In fact, the divorce was brought to my attention 3 days before the show opened. Though there is never a "good time" for things like that, it was probably the best timing, in hindsight.)The show sold out on a regular basis, and the cast and crew carried me through. American Standard lifted me up, and in so many ways, reshaped the way I found life today.
After American Standard closed, I got cast in another play.

And after that, another play.

It just continued and grew, and my friendships did as well. A few 'show friends' gave me the pleasure of their company during the show, but a select few stuck around.

Community Theater also hooked me with another handful of inspiring people, and it taught me a lesson I long to pass on (since it's done me so much good).

Surround yourself with people who inspire you to be better.

I don't mean those people who nag you (though sometimes inspiring folks will nag - because they care about you enough to want you to be better). I mean those people who inspire you just by living their own lives. Randy Pausch said, " When you're screwing up, and people stop telling you, it means they've given up on you." Largely, I agree.

And so many of friends do that - Bon Bon inspired me with her willingness to love despite heartbreak, her openness to new things, her athleticism. Doing a Triathlon because she asked me to really changed my life for the better, and resulted in building my confidence.

Craig encourages me to keep going in theater and proves that there is a delicate balance between relationships and showbiz. It's a balance I still struggle to keep.

Jonathon inspired me to be more eco-friendly and not to focus on the "money" of life so much. He's also inspired me to work hard, and follow my heart. I couldn't be more grateful for crossing his path.

Val inspired me with her faith, and her strength to do what was right for her after her divorce.
My Dad inspires me with his positive attitude even when facing Stage 4 Inoperable Pancreatic Cancer.

And that is just to name a few....
And My Sailor has inspires me as well. When I think I can't work out a little harder, I'm reminded of how hard he works. How hard boot camp must have been... and if he can do that, then I can certainly work out a little longer, run a little further, etc.


Even though I may not have many friends locally yet, I have those who inspire me around me in spirit.

Who inspires you? The more people you can learn from, the better 'you' you can be.
What can you learn from someone close to you today?

1 comment:

  1. What a great post!

    My list could go on and on. I think I will do my own blog post about it and link it here :)

    ReplyDelete